Monday, April 6, 2009

Tribute to an Almost Mom


Here's a beautiful and touching vid about Terry Albert. She wrote and narrates a poem, I Never Was a Mother, that expresses her love for animals and why she -- and so many others like her -- rescue homeless pets.

It's clear from the photos in this vid that some of these animals are disabled, at least temporarily. Though Terry may never have been a mother, she certainly shows all the signs and skills. Anyone who has ever fostered a child, an animal or anyone else can tell you that it takes the same amount of love, patience, compassion and perseverance as it does to be a full-time, long-term parent. Only you also have to have the strength to be able to let go, sometimes before you're ready.

Terry is also a professional pet sitter, and a generous one at that: she shares pet sitting tips and more at her blog.

Bless Terry and all the other courageous, loving people who understand what giving till it hurts really means. I'm not a religious person, but Mother Theresa is surely one of my heroes, and she definitely got it.

Giving's not all about money or things. It's mostly about giving of yourself: your time, your attention, your simple, loving touch to some creature who really needs it.

Are there any of us who do enough of that? I know I could use some work in that area myself. I often confuse being busy with being good. I hope I remember to ask myself -- and often -- What have I done today to live up to Terry's example?

2 comments:

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

Tank Woo fur sharing this piece!

I'm my mom's only 'child' - as were my siblings before me -

Not evfurryone understands BUT those that do, REALLY get it!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog said...

God Bless You always Terry for the work you do with the animals... how lucky each of them was to have found you... and I absolutely know without a doubt that you would say you were the lucky one. I so agree.

~Barbara Techel
Auhthor & Mom of Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog
www.frankiethewalknrolldog.blogspot.com